I found all sorts of pictures and ideas online, and from that I made plans for my play house. I was actually surprised how much fun it was to make this! I was only slightly stressed about it the last couple of days (well, late nights, really) leading up until Christmas trying to get it all done. I'm sort of a "wing it" and "eyeball it" kind of a gal. I just sat down and started cutting out felt - flowers, vegetables, a tree, leaves, etc. Then I just figured out how to put it all together. I ran into only a couple of problems along the way (like sewing windows and doors together before I should have turned the whole thing inside out to hem the bottom...oops!) but it all worked out great in the end. And the kids love it!
Here's pictures of all the sides:
The front. The mailbox opens up and there is a slot for letters. I ironed on the address above the door (our wedding anniversary, plus the road my in-laws live on, not to mention our last name :)). The door just flaps open and rests on top of the house to stay open.
I love how the little felt letters turned out. I love that my sewing machine can sew words!
An outside window. The flowers velcro to the flower pot, and the watering can velcros so they can take it off and "water" the flowers. The finished window is also lined with a checkered turquoise felt (the same as the front door).
Apple tree! The apples stick on with velcro so they can "pick" them and put them in the basket. The dolly velcros to the swing (Ella LOVES the little dolly - so glad I made it!) The little knot in the tree opens up...
...and there is a little bird inside. The bird comes off and can be put up in the tree in place of one of the apples.
In the back of the house is a little garden! The corn comes off of the stalk, and the other vegetables stick in the ground in little pockets in the dirt. Now to the inside of the house...
Next to the front door (not cut out yet in this picture) is a little book shelf, with pockets for a couple of real books. The mail slot comes through the book shelf. I thought the curtain above the little window turned out cute!
Close-up of the book shelf. I sewed book titles on the spines of the books.
Inside of the big window. The finished window is edged with turquoise fabric. Ella loves to climb in and out of the house through this window!
The kitchen! This was really fun to make. I found a picture of a play house online that had a kitchen almost exactly like this (can't remember where I saw it). The hands of the clock move (with velcro); the oven opens up and there are cookies inside; the big pot is a pocket so you can put vegetables inside; the fridge and freezer open; inside the fridge is a bowl you can put food in.
Close-up of clock
Cookies in the oven
Inside fridge and oven
This is probably the wall I am most proud of! I wanted the house more personalized to our family and to the things important to us, so I decided to make a piano on one wall! The sheet music pages turn. Then I used an iron-on transfer to make a framed family picture on the wall, and then used felt to make a picture of the Salt Lake temple! I think it turned out pretty cute. Here's some close-ups:
Here are a couple more pictures of the finished product:
So it was a success! And surprisingly (even after also making Christmas pj's and some cute round cushions for the kids as well), I am already looking forward to my next sewing project! It's a lot of fun.
9 comments:
Such a good idea and its super cute. :)
Absolutely adorable!
You are amazing!!! It turned out so cute and what a treasure for generations to come!!! You better start on more, because I know all your kiddos are going to want one for their very own!!
you're my idol. so proud. well done :)
Wow!
WOW! That is adorable and your kids will love making lots of fun memories under the table! I remember getting my first sewing machine after we were married and sewing an entire house of Barbie furniture. It was a HUGE project but everything turned out really cute and Karli loved it. Alan just got me a new sewing machine this year (he figured I had most likely worn the other one almost completely out, although I love that machine like no other) so I'm excited and nervous to learn all of the neat things it can do. Keep up the good work...you will never regret the things you make with your own hands. Love, Tami
Jenny that is so much fun! Ella and James will love it (I assume that especially Ella will love it). I love how much space it doesn't take up, and how customized it is! You did a fantastic job!
I'm super in LOVE! You did an amazing job. That is so fun it has my head spinning with ideas for a pirate ship or airplane. You are the coolest mom. I agree Christmas as a parent is a hoot!
This is so cute! You are amazing.
Post a Comment