Monday, March 15, 2010

friends are the best

We had a sweet little evening on Saturday. James has a little friend named Spencer. His mommy and I are friends, and so James and Spencer have played together a few times. Usually it is type of playing where one toddler is playing with one toy on one side of the room, and the other is playing with another on the other side, with occasional sad faces and crying about sharing "mine toys!"

We watched Spencer on Saturday night so his parents could go on a fun date. The boys played pretty well, but not really together. We had lots of fun with trains and bikes. And then they just looked so cute that I had to whip out my camera.

"Oh good, pictures!" said Spencer (Jonathan and I decided that the boys talk in two different toddler "dialects" - very cute). We somehow got them to sit together on the stairs. Jonathan made a funny face and noise (as only daddies can do), and it was like magic - all of a sudden these two little buddies bonded! And this happened:





From that moment on they played together and had the best time. James said, "come on, Spencer!" and took him upstairs to his mommy's and daddy's big bed in the loft, where they had a grand old time jumping on the bed, touching the ceiling, and playing with flashlights in the dark.
It was the sweetest thing to watch our little boy to really play with his first friend, and to discover the joy that comes with friendship.

5 comments:

Amber said...

oh, that is just TOO CUTE. ( :

Chelsie said...

THANK YOU so much for watching Spencer for us! I am SO happy they had so much fun together! I love all the pictures you took! They are so precious! Spencer has asked me like 5 times, "Go to James house again??" So cute!

meg baker said...

I found you! How much fun is this. Your little James is growing up really quickly. So sweet!

Karli said...

how cute! I love those stair-laughing pics. Boys are so fun! Love and miss you guys!

Laura Lowe said...

So sweet! This is how lifelong friendships start!

Thanks for your comment at my piano teaching blog. It certainly can be a challenge to manage a family and a teaching studio! I have a family blog here: lowes3.blogspot.com