Thursday, February 6, 2014

Just an ordinary day.

Today was pretty ordinary.

(Except for waking up to snow-like hail on the ground!)

The boys went to school. (Side note - I am always torn between calling Jonathan's schooling "school" and "work" these days; since he works in a clinic seeing patients all day, I lean toward "work." Except we are still paying his school tuition so that he can "work" at his externship site. Hmmm..... three more months!!!)

I took care of children. I fed them. Hugged them. Cleaned up lots of poop. The usual.

I thought about mopping the floor. But always got sidetracked.

We made sock puppets after James got home from kindergarten!


James was inspired when he read to me his new book If You Give a Moose a Muffin at bedtime last night. In the story the moose makes sock puppets like his grandmother used to (or was it his mother? Can't remember...well at any rate...) so James decided that we would make our own sock puppets after school today. And we did.


James named his puppet "Gus" just so he could take it for his letter G show-and-tell tomorrow (which is BIG since he has never wanted to take anything to show-and-tell for the entire year. Except on "P" week when he was all pumped and ready to recite a funny poem for show-and-tell, but then he got the stomach flu so he missed it! Sad day.). (Do you ever feel awkward when you put a period before and after a right parenthesis? Hmmmm...) Meet Gus:


I got a little anxious/stressed during the 5:00 hour when the kids (and I) usually get a little whiny and a lot hungry and I was supposed to be making dinner or something but instead I played this silly "Flappy Bird" game on Jonathan's iPad to try and beat the high score. So that was fun. Then I decided that someone needed to be the adult around here so I got up and made some dinner and cleaned up the kitchen a little.


We had our traditional-Thursday-night-dinner-while-Daddy-"works"-late: waffles! (James: "Wait, is that the square kind or the circle kind??" - he still mixes up pancakes and waffles. It's adorable.)


As I am loading up the kids into the car in our driveway in the cold, dark night so we could pick up Daddy, I am leaning into the middle of the back seat to try and buckle Ella in in the dark (the little light in the car is burned out) when James frantically says, "Mommy, what is that hissing sound? It sounds like that raccoon the other day that was under the car!"


Luckily there was no raccoon under the car, but it did freak me out a little. We drove to pick up Daddy, and while waiting in the parking lot I read a few chapters of "Growly" to the kids (nightly ritual!).


James thought he saw a face in the bush next to the car, so I moved the car to a different parking spot.


As I parked the car I glanced in the rear view mirror and sighed as I noticed that I never did do anything to my hair all day - in fact, I was still sporting last night's bedhead. 


But I think the day was a success anyway.


3 comments:

Lil Lizzie said...

Sounds like a very productive day! So cute.

Lindsay said...

I loved this! Especially the part about realizing that someone has to be the adult...and it's you. I have that moment at least once a day. Let's just say I do a lot of sighing.

Does James have glasses now, or was he wearing Jonathan's? I thought of Jonathan the other day when I went to Costco for my eye exam.

When you make sock puppets, you MAKE SOCK PUPPETS. I am impressed. You should either post or link to a tutorial :).

Jenny Bay said...

I have that moment pretty much every day around dinner time :) ha. Yes, James got glasses back in December! He wasn't too thrilled but has come to not mind. The cool thing was that his daddy got to be his eye doctor!

So for the sock puppets, I found this tutorial via Pinterest that I used to make the mouths. (http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/11/easy-monster-sock-puppet-tutorial.html). Then we just used buttons for eyes, and James cut out a tongue and the t-shirt (and a superman cape that is not shown in these photos) out of felt and I just hot glued them on. It was surprisingly easy!