Thursday, January 7, 2010

The simple joys of childhood

While visiting my Mom today, James and I looked out the window and saw a black cat climbing across the top of a fence! Oh the excitement! James loves cats lately. He went shopping with me yesterday and while I was trying on clothes in the dressing room at Old Navy, he got very bored and so he decided to be a cat. He crawled all around the dressing room meowing, rubbing up against my leg and climbing on me. And he tried to lick the wall. Yuck.

So anyway, we were looking out the window at this cat, and James opened the shutters, spooking the cat a bit. I told him that maybe we shouldn't move the shutters so we don't scare the cat. Then the cat moved closer and STARED at us with its big green eyes. James turned and reached for me and said, "Cares me!!" [scares me] (I can't say that I blame him, I am so not a cat person; in fact, I really dislike cats most of the time. Kittens are kind of cute though.)

He felt much better, though, after we looked out a different window and scared the cat, making it run away. James just laughed and laughed!

Isn't it fun discovering the world through the eyes of your child? Like the excitement of seeing a cat or a bird or a bug. Or taking long, looooong walks and stopping to look at everything along the way. If I wasn't a mommy, I so would not be blogging about seeing a cat outside the window. :) But I am a mommy, and I just love it. I am so happy to get to re-live childhood vicariously through my little buddy.

1 comment:

Janina Herbert said...

awwwwwww, i loved this post! haha, and i LOVED how you wrote it ("I am SO not a cat person..." and stuff - SO CUTE!)

Aww, WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER SOON! It feels like forever! love ya! muahWHACK!