
I love how my James is learning and growing and discovering the world. Life really can be magical through the eyes of a toddler, can't it? The simplest things are just amazing to him and he finds joy in the smallest things - like playing with balloons or carrying a flashlight around the house, shining it on everything in sight, and learning to make shadow puppets with his Daddy.
And while, yes, this is an amazing world to discover, it can sometimes be harsh and scary and not so magical. I only hope we can teach him what we need to in order for him to be a great man (like his Daddy and all of his uncles and his two amazing grandfathers) who will influence the world for the better.
I hope we can teach him to be kind to others. I feel like this is one of the very most important things we can teach our children. This is something I have been thinking about lately, and I think that for many in our world today, being kind is a lost art. It is probably one of the most simple yet powerful ways to help and influence others, to serve the people around us, to share our beliefs, even to be successful.
It is so easy these days, especially with the technology we have, to share our opinions and put others down in order to make ourselves seem cool. I am sure we are all (myself included) guilty of judging others at times. I hope I can teach my boy to give others the benefit of the doubt before judging them, to steer clear of categorizing people, and to be slow to take offense.
What a lot of responsibility that comes with being a mother!
2 comments:
That photo of James is stunning! Did you take it? It's so artsy and reminds me of the book The Red Balloon.
What you wrote is poignant and so true. Doesn't it kill you to know that your tender-hearted child will have to be exposed to the cruelties of the world? And as moms we're powerless to prevent this... we just have to teach them as best we can and then pray!
Jenny you're amazing...that's all I have to say. :) Thank you for the inspiring posts.
Post a Comment