Monday, September 28, 2009

yummy crock pot soup!

I love trying out new recipes, and I tried a winner yesterday and thought I'd share!


The recipe is for Smashed Potato Soup that you make in the crock pot. I got it from this website. I also made Golden Flax Bread to go with it - which sounds impressive but is totally cheating because I made it in the bread maker! Oh well, what better thing to wake up to in the morning than the smell of homemade bread (AND it only took about FIVE minutes of prep time)? I've been making this bread recipe for awhile and we love it! I also thought I'd whip up some Honey Butter to go with it. Yummy!

Here are the recipes....hope you enjoy!

Smashed Potato Soup

Ingredients


3-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped yellow and/or red sweet pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons bottled roasted garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
Sliced green onions for garnish (optional)

Directions

In a 4- to 6-quart slow-cooker, combine potatoes, sweet pepper, garlic, and black pepper. Pour broth over all.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours. (I did it on high for an hour and a half, then low for 5 hours.)

Mash potatoes slightly with a potato masher. Stir in whipping cream, cheddar cheese and the 1/2 cup sliced green onions. If desired, top individual servings with additional green onions. Serves 8.


Golden Flax Bread


Ingredients

7/8 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons milled flax seed
2-1/2 cups bread flour (I used 2 cups white flour and 1/2 cup wheat - I may use more wheat next time)
1-1/2 Tablespoons non-fat dry milk
1-1/2 teaspoons fast rise yeast

Directions

Add ingredients to the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer (I do it in the order listed here). Select basic cycle with a light or medium color setting. Yield: 1-1/2 pound loaf.


Honey Butter

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Mix all ingredients together. I actually made about half this much for our little family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yummy! thanks for sharing-I'll definitely be trying all of them, I need to get a bread maker, apparently!