This week he has been awful with his naps, and it's making me crazy! I don't know about any of you, but I can never really completely relax until I know he's actually asleep. I can only get so much done when he's up there calling my name!
Any mommy knows that nap time is glorious. Not that we don't love our children and want to play with them and hug them and read to them, but you cannot stay sane without some amount of time to yourself during the day, am I right? Even if it's taking a hot bath or reading a magazine OR, better yet, leaving the child with your husband and getting out and going somewhere (even if it's just to the grocery store) by yourself (it's always nice when you can pick the tiny shopping cart and not the HUGE one with the car on the front that is impossible to maneuver through the aisles and you get in everybody's way and your child is hanging his head out the side).
I think that yesterday was particularly exhausting. James is usually pretty good about playing by himself while I do the dishes and get a few things done around the house. But yesterday he wanted my FULL attention. I'd leave the room and he'd start calling, "Mommy?? Mommy??" He wanted me to "make his toys talk" over and over and over again. There is only so much you can make a little wooden person say to his wooden buddy, or a car say to another car (unless you are my husband or my dad, in which case you can go on and on for hours and never seem to get tired of it).
After he'd been in his bed yesterday for an hour or so of "quiet time" (since he never fell asleep), I went in there and we had this conversation:
me: "why didn't you go to sleep?"
James: "awake!"
me: "well, did you try closing your eyes?"
James: "no. eyes open!"
we then had a sort of stare down and he started to grin.
James: "out? met? one met?" (one minute)
me: "you want to get out?"
James: long pause........................"ok!"
sigh.
Calling all mommies: What do you like to do during your "alone time" while your kiddies are sleeping or with daddy? How do you recharge your battery so you remain pleasant and patient? :)
13 comments:
I loved this post because I can totally relate! I too have such a hard time relaxing if he's not all the way asleep. I'm sure this gets easier the more kids you have-or at least I pray it does-or I might be a stressed wreck! Once he is though, I love to read, blog, catch up on scrapbooking, or like today, take a great 1.5 hour long nap! And, I love waking up from my nap and knowing he's still sleeping and I can really wake up and be ready for him. If I'm leaving him home with Nana or Daddy, I love just getting groceries, lunch with a friend, or running errands and not having to worry about carseats & dipaer changes throughout the day. Makes running errands much quicker. I also feel your pain about naps being hard times lately...with Gray being sick, he has NOT been napping well (till today) for about a week and it really takes a toll on both of us. We are both much happier on days he gets a good nap. Speaking of which, I better go wake him up so he sleeps well tonight!
Love and miss you!
Karli - thanks for the comment, LOVED it. It's actually just good to realize that there are people going through the same things as you! It doesn't change anything but it helps to have a buddy :) I sure hope it gets easier the more kids you have! I was actually thinking about this today - when I have more kids, will it be easier in that they will have a buddy to play with, and therefore will not need my absolute undivided attention every second? Will they keep each other company so Mommy can get some things done around the house? Here's hoping, right? :)
Well Jenny, let me tell you. It doesn't get easier the more kids you have! Maybe when the younger gets older and they can play together. At least I'm hoping. Because right now I just have TWO kids that want my undivided attention. Can we say exhausting?! :) I try desperately to get my two kids to nap at the same time so I can have some peace. Some days it works and others not so much. When they do I do laundry while I catch up on my favorite shows on DVR. In peace. When I leave them with dad or grandma it's usually to run errands and like you said, go to the grocery store without having to get the jumbo cart and worry about car seats and whining and whatnot. So much easier and more enjoyable that way! Good luck with the napping. Naptime is really the best time of day!
Hey Jenny,
Im not a mom, BUT if you ever need a second... Let me know. I am apparently very good at making cars talk :)
Oh, how I relate to this post! Naptime is precious time to me. We have also been struggling with naps. Somedays, Spencer just won't go to sleep, he is just not tired! I NEED him to nap, for my own sanity. While he naps, I like to read, take a shower, blog, talk to a friend, or of course watch gilmore girls. I decided the other day, that when Spencer does stop napping, he will still have to have quiet time on his own. I really hope napping gets better for you guys! I am also looking forward to another child, hopfully being a good playmate :)
Oh my goodness, I LOVED this post! hahaha! it was SO cute/funny! Ummm...I'm trying to think of what I do when Aaron's with Matt or sleeping....oh right! practicing! :P Occasionally I go to the grocery store by myself, but most of the time, I don't really mind taking Aaron - he's still small enough to go in the cart, and he LOVES being distracted with all the stuff...and then Matt can have some alone time, too! :)
love ya!! muahWHACK!
(PS - let me know about tomorrow)
Ahhh, Jenny. I definitely say that it gets WAAAYYYYY better on the "undivided attention" stuff with more kids. Bekah hardly ever wants me to play with her, lol. She has lots of more fun companions in Emma and Caleb (and Ammon, Hannah, and Lizzie when they are home from school).
Unfortunately, the nap thing does NOT get better. :( Bekah still naps fine, but Caleb and Emma are still here and they no longer nap. Goodbye "me" time. The only time I have for myself is at night when they are all sleeping. :)
Hey Jenny! I too enjoy the precious nap time. One thing about your little guy...if he's going to bed pretty early (like 7:00ish), he may really not need the extra sleep of a nap. Henry started doing the same thing, so I started putting him to bed between 8:00 and 8:30 and he wakes up anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30. The later and earlier times make him tired enough at nap time to really need a nap. And I just put him in his room and shut the door for about one and a half to two hours. When he wakes up, he knows it's still quiet time and he can play in his room until I come get him. Those are the things I've done to get something that works for me...you will eventually figure something out that works for you. :) I use nap time to take a nap myself lots of times, or I do blogs and email, or read. Or work on things on my to-do list that I don't want to get interrupted while doing (computer stuff, phone calls, etc.). Nap time is a very blissful time. :) When daddy watches them it's usual when I have a girl's night out with a friend, or go to Relief Society, or socializing some other way. I am a very social person...I thrive on interaction with others. So I use my 'free' time to socialize. I need that extra adult interaction that you just don't get as a mom. Oh, and one other thing I do that charges my batteries is running. When the weather isn't cold...I can take my kids with me in my jogging stroller, but they're strapped in and can't go anywhere while I run...so it almost feels like some mommy time too. Ok, this was longs. It's a good topic. :)
Wow, thanks for all the great comments! I loved reading all of them! Melissa, those are some good ideas. I totally agree that we mamas need some adult interaction in our days!
Read. Or sew. I like to organize. It makes me feel organized on the inside.
Michelle - LOVED your comment about feeling organized on the inside - that's so true, isn't it?? :)
I'm all about Girls Night Outs. I haven't made them often enough but whenever I get a chance I take it! Whenever you want to get together Jen, you just let me know!! :)
Yes, I agree that girls nights out are essential! And that would be so fun to get together sometime, Jamie!
Post a Comment