Tuesday, March 18, 2008

three years ago today


Three years ago today, I went out with my sweet husband for the first time! It's amazing how fast time seems to go by. It's also amazing how one day your life is one way, and then the next day it can completely change, just like that. Before the date, I had no interest in Jonathan at all. I just knew him as a nice guy in the ward, and I had never even considered the fact that he was cute.

I was excited for the date, but not overly-excited. It was a time in my life when I was going on dates quite a bit (quite a bit for ME, at least!) and having a lot of fun - but I was never interested in any of the guys I went out with.

I remember when he called me during the week to ask me out - I said yes, and he told me what time he'd pick me up, and then said, "and if I see you between now and then, I'll probably pretend like I don't know you." I'm thinking - ok, sounds good - what a funny guy. I hung up the phone and told my roommates that Jonathan Boster had just asked me out. From the other room, my roommate Mindy yelled "WHAT??!" in complete surprise (ironically, Jonathan had seriously dated a girl who was pretty close friends with some of my roommates, and the girl was on a mission at the time).

I saw Jonathan on Friday afternoon, the day of our date, in the HFAC (Harris Fine Arts Center - aka MY HOME) at BYU, and because of what he had said, I pretended like I didn't know him! I introduced myself and shook his hand and we chatted for a minute - looking back on it, he probably thought I was flirting with him - but I really wasn't that interested. Funny how these things work out!

I practiced the piano all afternoon, and then went home to get ready for the date. Our next-door neighbor was over at our apartment visiting, and she was getting all into it and asking me what I was going to wear for the date. I think my exact words were, "I dunno . . . it's just Jonathan!" (Sorry Babe!)

It was when he walked in the door to pick me up that I looked at him and thought "hmmm . . . he's kinda cute!" He had piqued my interest, and my life has never been the same since! We had a great time on our date - we doubled with his good friend Jay and a cute girl he was dating. It was nothing fancy but we got along really well and joked around a LOT - I thought he was just hilarious! I think I was laughing the whole night. We got pizza from Little Caesar's and then went to a park and ate, and then played frisbee golf. It was totally unlike any other "first date" I had ever been on. It wasn't even until halfway through the date that he finally said, "so, where are you from?" - up until that point we had just been talking about things and joking around. We just really hit it off. It was so much fun, it was a beautiful spring evening, and now whenever it starts to get warm after winter, I just think about the time we started to date - it brings back such great memories!

We then went to a BYU folk dance concert at Provo High and he just continued to make me laugh, and I had such a great time! We went back to his apartment and ended up watching The Incredibles on his roommate's HUGE tv. And this was a first in awhile - I had been on many-a-date in those recent months where the guy would try to get a little too close during a movie, so I would end up folding my arms the entire time - but this time I didn't feel the same way at all, it was so weird - I was the one who sat really close to him. He was just, all of a sudden, a really cute guy!

The next day I told my best friend Janina that it was the first date in a LOOONG time where I actually WANTED a 2nd date with the guy. Janina and I stayed at my parents' house that weekend, but I got back on Sunday night and Jonathan and I talked for hours. We were together every single day after that, and the rest is history!

I am so grateful for my amazing husband! He's my best friend and I just love him so much! He is always so positive and has the greatest sense of humor. He's the greatest guy. I love you, Babe!

Just for fun, here are a few pictures from our dating days!

This is one of the very first pictures of us together - it was taken just a couple of days after our first date.

6 comments:

Lil Lizzie said...

ah i just love you guys! i remember that weekend when you and janina stayed over and i remember hearing all about the date! crazy how fast time flies by. also remember the first picture we saw of jonathan . . . in your pink hoody! haha good times. jonathan's my favorite. anyway happy first date anniversary :) i sure love you guys!

Janina Herbert said...

awwwww YAAAAAY!! i am SO happy you married jonathan, jenny - he is so cute! (for you of course 0:) AND i think i actually said "yay!" when you mentioned me in your blog! i TOTALLY remember all of this, too! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEEN THREE YEARS! and now you have a BABY!! :D

ok so i seriously miss you and WE NEED TO TALK! (no big news, don't worry heh heh ;) i'm working in the temple tonight, so that's why maybe tomorrow??? cuz seriously, it's been WAY too long!

anyways, i thought that your first date with jonathan was in april! i'm so silly :P oh! and guess what?! i did a little researching old calendars and figured out the exact date matt and i met! August 29, 2004! yay!! anyways, I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!! let's talk tomorrow, k? muahWHACK!

Annie said...

I totally remember the day of your first date! We were roomies the whole time you were dating and engaged so I got to watch it all unfold. That was a really happy time for me too because you guys are just so much fun to be around. You guys are so good to me. I miss you. I'll see you this weekend!

love,
Annie

P.S. Pretty sure I took most of those pictures! I was your unofficial photographer or something

SUSIE E. STOUT said...

I had never heard this story, so cute and pretty smooth Jonathan I didn't know you had it in you:) All I know was when I met you I thought you were a super nice girl but I was embarrassed because the first time we met I had church in the same building as you and I was walking down the stairwell and Jonathan said "Hey Susie I had a dream last night that you punched all my teeth out." I thought great now she's going to think I have anger issues Jonathan. So glad you guys got married!!

Karli said...

Jonathan has always been one of my favorites and always makes me laugh. I was so glad he found you. You compliment him well and are such a cute couple. I am so proud of the good choices he's made and love seeing my friends so happy. You are amazing and such a cutie. So glad you've got each other!
Love, Karli

Melissa said...

That was such a fun time! It was fun dating Charles and watching you guys just a few weeks behind us. It's funny because your first-date anniversary is our first-kiss anniversary! Same exact day. Anyways thanks for the memories...it made me start reliving all of ours too.