Thursday, April 30, 2009

Surprisingly, a really cool video!

Today I found a really cool video on YouTube. I have to preface this by saying that I am not a Jon Schmidt fan. Yes, I am a pianist, and I love music, and I realize that a lot of people really like him and his style. But, I really don't see what is so great about his music. Being a classical pianist, I can't really compare his music to, say, Schumann or Chopin or Bach. It just, hands down, does not compare at all (sorry to all who are fans!). I remember always hearing his song Waterfall being played in the practice rooms at BYU and it driving me crazy, or hearing people play his songs and having everything think it was amazing. I am not trying to sound snobby here, just trying to be honest! (However, I will say that his songs have tons of energy, they are fun and he seems like a fun performer!)

ANYWAY...having said all that, I found a video on YouTube today of one of his songs (well, arrangments), and it was really neat! I was honestly surprised. I thought it was such a cool (and random) combination of songs ("Love Story" by Taylor Swift and "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay - which just happens to be James' favorite song, so he enjoyed it, too!). It's a piano/cello arrangment (with a few drums/keyboards/voices/whatever thrown in) and it is just so fun (by the way, I think the cello is amazing, I totally want to get one and learn it someday!). So, I just had to share. I know, crazy, I am sharing a Jon Schmidt video on my blog. Well, just go see for yourself, it is pretty fun (as long as you ignore his technique and his really flat fingers at points - man that just makes me CRINGE and my fingers hurt!!) Anyway...enjoy!

No comments: