Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Tyrannosaurus Rex, the mighty dinosaur..."

"...he was king in the age of dinosaurs. He was more fierce....than........(a whole bunch of dinosaurs' names)................to name a few."

Oh man, I learned this dinosaur song in elementary school and for the life of me I just cannot remember all the dinosaurs who were less fierce than the T. Rex! If anyone (particularly those who went to Oakwood with me and sang this exact song) knows how this goes, I would greatly appreciate it because it is driving me crazy!

In fact, as I recall, we sang a whole bunch of dinosaur songs for some program - one of them went like this "Listen to the chorus of the stegosaurus, and the something saurus down by the swamp.......what a noise...it's the boys (and the girls!) of the prehistoric animal brigade," and the other one that I can remember is "Elasmosaurus, elasmosaurus, the giant of the sea." Ah good times, isn't it fun to reminisce about elementary school?

Well, there really is a point to all this....today my boys and I went to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point! It was so much fun, and James really enjoyed it! In fact his favorite part of the whole thing was this little room you walk through that is completely dark with millions of "stars" shining all around you. He was scared at first, but after we walked through it once we had to go back about five times. He also really liked the live fish that were in the little streams, and the model of the giant prehistoric shark.



My boys ventured dangerously close to this gigantic shark! James was actually mesmerized and sat in front of it forever, just staring at it.


There were lots of fun exhibits to look at. Imagine my disappointment, though, when I found out that the Elasmosaurus (you know, from the aforementioned elementary school song) isn't really classified as a dinosaur! Oh well, I'll get over it.


We saw lots of cool dinosaur bones, like this T-Rex! Makes me want to watch Jurassic Park or Night at the Museum...


MY favorite part was the humongous turtle. Apparently it was pretty much all intact when they found it, and is something like sixteen feet across. So cool!


4 comments:

Joanna said...

How fun!! We have been dying to go there with Marshall! He loves dinosaurs. Have you seen the new show on KUTV, Dinosaur Train? It's on at 8:30 AM I think...we have it Tivo-ed so I don't have to remember. It is so cute! If you haven't seen it, I bet James would love it.

Jenny Bay said...

No, I haven't seen it - I bet James would love it! Thanks for sharing, Jo!

Melissa said...

I took Henry to that museum back in August and was so impressed. It is pretty cool...I bet he loved it!

jeff said...

If I remember correctly, the rest of the tyrannosaurus song goes:

Elasmosaurus, brontosaurus, stegosaurus too,
Iguanadon, tyranodon, and trachodon to name a few.