Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flashback Boxes

Yesterday Jonathan and I decided to clean out a few boxes from our storage closet. I tackled a box full of random papers, and man, it was so much fun! It was a total flashback to my senior year of college, mostly having to do with piano.


In this box I found some awesome gems such as:

*My senior piano recital program, signed by the three piano faculty members who were on the jury at my recital, with their signatures and the word "Pass!!" (I think my favorite part of that is Dr. Peery-Fox's signature, because I have to admit that I was nervous that she'd be there, and so thrilled that she later complimented me on how well I did.) This totally took me back to the days of practicing hours on end, and sometimes I really miss it! Consequently, I practiced for quite awhile today (definitely not near the four hours I used to, but still - it felt good!).


*TONS of class notes from classes like piano lit, music history and such. However, my favorite part of these notes were my study notes (well, cram session notes, really) that Janina and I wrote down in the middle of the night before our big music history exams. They consisted of some AMAZING acronyms (well, sort of acronyms...) and such that helped us remember key facts about Bach and Handel. Some of my personal favorites:

Guys And Or Men OWe Our Very Cute selves Dark Chocolate Or Light Chocolate!

...which, of course, reminds you of these important Bach facts...

G
ermany, Amstadt, Organist, Muhlhausen, Organ works, Weimar, Organist, Violinist, Concertmaster, Director, Cothen, Orchestra, Leipzig, and Cantatas.

No wonder we did so well on the tests, eh?? I will spare the details of the Handel one about love handles.


*A roll of cloth tape I used to use to tape my fingers when they started to hurt or bleed during practicing. Ahh, good times...


*Notes written by Janina and myself during our public speaking class. Writing notes to each other kept us awake (and sane). Here are some examples (two are in the form of poetry):

One day in the class "Public Speaking"
Some speeches we were critiquing.
He gave us a break,
The chance we did take,
We escaped and us he was seeking.

HAIKU TO PUBLIC SPEAKING by: J-Bebe
We sit there...and stare.
He talks, and talks, and he talks.
I want to leave now.

to the next idea....to the next idea....to the next idea....to the next idea....yes, let's move onto the NEXT idea please.

This class was riveting, as you can imagine.


*A plastic bag filled with about a million fortune cookie fortunes. Mostly from Panda Express.


I love flashback boxes. They just fill my soul with joy. And oh how I [sometimes] miss the days of being a full-time music nerd.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

I miss those days too! A LOT! Aren't you so jealous Janina is in the thick of it again? The practice part, not the academic class part. I love special memory boxes too.