Friday, October 16, 2009

Sleepy-time Struggles


Help! I am just about going crazy here. Lately James has decided that he doesn't like to nap! He has always been a great sleeper, and still sleeps very well at night (no crying, just goes right to sleep). For awhile now he has been on kind of a late napping schedule (but it has worked) - where he'll go down for a nap in the afternoon around 2 or so, and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. Then, he just stopped. I realized that he was probably tired earlier, so I started putting him down around 12:30 or 1, which sometimes does work. But for the most part - I'll lay him down (doesn't matter what time) and he will just happily play and talk in his crib for about an hour, until I've had it and I go get him up. Then he gets so grumpy and obviously still needs a nap, so I try again an hour later and he sleeps great (but then he naps too late, and it throws off the whole schedule - or lack thereof).

Any suggestions? Is anyone else going through this same thing? He will be two in December, so he is really little to give up naps. And I am definitely not ready for that yet!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Hey Jenny,
Bekah is also balking at her naps lately. She likes to play (or scream...depending on her mood) instead of sleeping. I think it is a normal stage.

If you DO get him back up, I would recommend trying to not put him back down for another nap later in the day since this tends to make them stay up WAAYY late. Make him wait until bedtime (or sometimes like an hour earlier than usual). I know that makes him super cranky, but then he is usually back on schedule the next day.

I also recommend leaving him in his bed for that hour or so and just ignoring him during nap time. Sometimes they just need downtime. If he doesn't sleep then just get him back up when naptime is over.

Typically this stage will pass (he is often just testing you to see what you will do if he doesn't go to sleep). Sometimes it doesn't and they really just don't need as much sleep anymore. If that is the case, I would still recommend "quiet time" where he needs to read or play quietly in his bed. For a time it can be tough, but I would say keep him up until bedtime if that is the case.

Okay, this post is rambling and crazy, lol. I'm sure you will do just fine with him either way. He is such a sweet little guy. :) Just know you are not alone!

Jenny Bay said...

Thanks Lori - those are good suggestions! And I totally know what you mean about not putting him down again if he doesn't sleep, so he doesn't get to bed too late - I have tried that a bunch, but he seems to still not nap well the next day, either. He usually goes to bed around 8, 9 or 9:30 at the latest.

Anyway, yes I hope this is a phase and that it will pass! Thanks for the encouragement!

Michelle said...

Those suggestions are good. Let him play for his naptime. Is it dark in his room? Does he have too many toys in his crib? Emily had trouble sleeping until I put a sippy cup of water in her bed. If he still doesn't sleep, but happily plays in his bed for an hour or two, then let him! But if he skips his nap, put him down a lot earlier at night--like 7:30 or 8:00. You could also try waking him up earlier in the morning, so that he gets tired earlier and doesn't take a late nap. Maybe you just need to shift his schedule earlier a little.

Michelle said...

Good luck!

Megan said...

Hey Jenny! Harry does this some days. It's nice you have the crib to "contain" him! We switched Harry to his big boy bed when he was about 21 months, and it went pretty well - be that means he can get out when he wants! I'm no expert, but I would suggest early on designating a "quiet time" spot. We put Harry in the pack and play with a pillow and blanket and 3 books, and tell him it is quiet time. He's enjoying it! He's not done with naps, but some days he just doesn't want to sleep which is o.k. (I just keep telling myself that....lol) It's a good transition for when he won't be in the pack and play, but for now in his mind it helps him distinguish between "naps" and "quiet time" It might be good to start trying that sooner than later and then James will be used to the idea! Good luck! You're such a good a loving mom!