Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gathering in the Kitchen

It seems that some of my most favorite memories of spending time with my in-laws take place in their kitchen. Jonathan's Mom is a fabulous cook and we always eat so well when we are home. I especially love going there during the harvest season and eating the fruits and vegetables grown in their huge garden. Some of our favorites are his Mom's red potatoes, their cantaloupe and their peaches.

Their kitchen is their gathering place, and we have had so many great conversations there, some fun and funny and some really deep and spiritual (not to mention the fun political conversations! good times). I remember the first time I went home to meet the family (and the entire family was home at that time! as in, ALL eleven kids) - the first night we were there, everyone was gathered in the kitchen, telling random jokes and laughing so hard (I seem to recall some joke told by Mom about ashes and tap dancing??). I had so much fun with them and I knew then that they were a really wonderful family.

Here are some great pictures of the family hanging out in the kitchen -

hungry James

Joseph is carving the turkey

Mom making her delicious mashed potatoes

James and his Aunt Rebecca

Sometimes you just need a stuffed monkey for comfort

Emma Jeane - helping get ready for Sunday dinner

Sierra

Joshua and Bethany

cute Joshua

Hannah and Aunt Rebecca

Spencer helping out

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Thank you for posting! I've been blog-stocking you for a while, knowing the pictures were coming :) Looks like you all had a great time, and I agree that the kitchen is where all the conversations happen at home. Ahh, the memories :)
Love it,
K