Sunday, February 28, 2010

rice-challenged

Lately, whenever I make rice it just doesn't work. Seriously, ANY kind of rice I try to make - white rice, brown rice, minute rice, rice-a-roni - turns out all nasty and the water never cooks away completely. I used to make rice a lot, and it used to turn out great. What is my problem? I feel very rice-challenged as of late. I think we'll steer clear of it in our house for awhile.

Last Sunday I cooked some rice for some chicken teriyaki bowls, and again it didn't turn out (and this was rice-a-roni, folks, not rocket science!) So frustrating. So I quickly came up with a plan B for my hungry boys and we had chicken caesar salad (well, chicken nuggets for James), and I decided to make a fruit smoothie to go with it. Unfortunately I soon realized that the bottom of my blender wasn't screwed in all the way, and this happened:


Sad day. Do you ever have nights where you think dinner will never ever make it on the table? This was definitely that type of night. I got the smoothie cleaned up and started over.


Ahhh, much better. Who doesn't love smoothies - man they are the best. It's almost like eating ice cream for dinner. So our dinner actually turned out alright. Also, thankfully, I had made some yummy funfetti cupcakes for dessert...which got eaten right along with our late dinner. We were so hungry that I didn't even frost them. Great dinner, eh?


I am really thankful for my Mom who always made such amazing dinners. Being a mom who cooks dinner every single day can be hard sometimes! It is so...DAILY :). Agreed?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Amen to that! The part I really struggle with is cleaning up all the dishes afterwards...they just are never done!

Amber said...

Jenny - this post made me laugh! I, too, am rice challenged (in fact, I even did a post about it on our family blog ages ago... I'll have to email you the think so you can see!). After my rice-tastrophe, our good friends bought us a rice cooker... and we use the thing ALL THE TIME! It's like magic! Pour in a cup or two of rice, fill it to the line with water, and presto! - perfect rice! every time! And they're only like $15 at Walmart. Seriously, go get one. You'll LOVE it.

Chelsie said...

I have the same problem with rice! I just got a recipe for Brown Bice, and you cook it in the oven. It is suppose to be perfect rice every time. I have not tried it yet, I will let you know how it goes! I got the recipe from my Favorite food blog. I will email it to you!

Joanna said...

I was rice challenged as well, until we bought a rice cooker. Perfect rice every time, and you don't have to do anything but put all the ingredients in it. Bonus part about ours is it doubles as a veggie steamer. :)

mallorymallorah said...

You're definitely not the only one that struggles with rice Jenny!
A rice cooker is on my wish list!
And I completely agree with cooking dinner every day- I feel like I often get stuck in a food rut. We should do a recipe exchange or something!